Tuesday 22 July 2014



To have been one of the 40 finalists at the Horlicks Wizkids 2013 is one of the most cherished moments of my life. I got in through the online route and wasn’t aware of the scale on which Horlicks conducts events.   I was informed about my selection barely a month before the event and was not sure if I could go forward. There were so many obstacles in the way but I made it to the WIZKIDS finals at Bangalore.

The project on working with underprivileged kids was intimidating at first but once I got involved it turned out to be heart-warming. My family is involved in charity acts but we normally do so in cash and kind. Thank you Horlicks for it’s because of you I gave the most precious of gifts – MY TIME.

Made me realize how blessed I am compared to so many other kids who do not have half of what I do. Made me see the truth of the fact that you can give without loving but you cannot love without giving. LOVE = TIME + ACTION was my equation. I taught these kids through art and music – connected with children who long to be noticed, appreciated and loved.

Even after the Horlicks event, I volunteered at a Bal Mela organized by my charity where 1400 children attended and we recycled over 1000 cartons of milk through art. I also helped raise money for my charity. If Horlicks hadn’t set the ball in motion I don’t think I would have the courage to be a kid and yet work with kids.

Most importantly I learnt about accountability of time. Everyone from a beggar to the richest man on earth is presented with 24 hours each day. Few people reach for the stars while others laze around and then lament about their misfortunes. While in Bangalore, we woke up at the crack of dawn and went to bed late at night. The day used to be packed with both team and individual events. We had wonderful mentors to guide us along every step of the way.

I was a class 8 student who had never been anywhere out of  Goa alone and here I was with a bunch of kids from class 8-12, away from home but it still felt like home. Like they say ‘home is where the heart is’. You prepare for so long and how can you get 1-2 minutes on stage to make an impact was baffling for me at first but then the reality of it hit me. You can do so much but in day-to-day life we throw those minutes away carelessly. My parents are always telling me to make each moment count and be the best of myself every time – not better than someone else. Being a Wizkid was all about living each moment to the fullest by just being myself.

Well life goes on and I’ve been busy with studies, music and other activities and I’m filled with a sense of nostalgia when I think of the 5 days I spent with Horlicks. I’m thankful for all the good lessons I learnt. I intend continuing to ‘live the dream’ -  be alive to every moment and always be the best of ME. Thank you Horlicks and all the amazing members of the WIZKID TEAM 2013 ---Bradley

No comments:

Post a Comment